Cannabidiol (CBD) infused products are used by people to treat various types of common ailments like inflammations, minor wound healing, skin rashes, sleep disorders, anxiety issues, and many more. Apart from the therapeutic effects, this is also due to the fact that it has very minimal or no side effects when compared to regular medicines. CBD’s therapeutic and medical benefits are imparted by its effect on the endocannabinoid system (ECS). One such potential benefit is its use for the treatment of jet lag because it promotes good sleep and is effective in treating different types of sleep disorders. Read on to know how CBD is useful in treating jet lag.
What Is Jet Lag?
Jet lag is a set of symptoms that your body experiences when the circadian rhythm is disrupted when you travel across different time zones. The circadian rhythm is responsible for the sleep-wake cycle and its disruption can cause sleeping disorders. Apart from this, it is also responsible for maintaining core body temperature, hormonal activity, and other vital functions like gastrointestinal activity. You should also know that the more time zones you cross, the longer it takes for this to reset. As a rule of thumb, it takes a day to recover for each time zone you cross.
CBD For Treating Jet Lag
Cannabidiol is useful in treating jet lag because of the CBD benefits that are listed below.
- Sleep Disturbances: As mentioned earlier, jet lag causes disturbance to the circadian rhythm resulting in sleep disturbances. It causes side effects like irritability, depression, headaches, weakness, etc. Consuming CBD helps to manage this issue because it restores the melatonin levels due to its influence on the endocrine system via the ECS.
- Cognitive Functioning: Cognitive impermanent is a side effect of jet lag and this causes issues like confusion or fuzzy thoughts. Using CBD can help in the improvement of this condition.
- Anxiety And Irritability: Consuming CBD is useful to manage anxiety and irritability, this is because of its anxiolytic effect. It also reduces the secretion of the stress hormone, cortisol, by the adrenal glands.
- Digestion: Consuming CBD helps to restore digestion issues due to jet lag and this is due to its influence on the serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter that regulates homeostatic functions like body temperature, pain perception, digestion, appetite, etc.
- Pain: Jet lag also causes headaches for people and consuming CBD is useful as it has got good analgesic effects that are helpful in treating both nociceptive and neuropathic pain.
These are some of the ways in which cannabidiol (CBD) is useful in treating the side effects of jet lag. However, you should keep in mind that CBD might not work for all because of the differences in our physiology.